“The program cannot start because VCRUNTIME140.DLL is missing from your computer”. This is one of the most irritating and annoying Windows error messages.
How to Fix Vcruntime140.dll Error on Windows 10
There are several methods that can resolve the VCRUNTIME140.dll error. This is what we will be talking about throughout this guide, and by the end you will be able to fix the error easily.
What does the VCRUNTIME140.dll error mean?
The VCRUNTIME140.dll error in itself is not a critical error. It just causes the application concerned to malfunction. This .dll file means that the system is unable to access the code present in the file or that it cannot locate the file itself. And in such a situation, the system cannot process the generated code, hence the occurrence of this error.
Here are the possible solutions for this error:
Scan the system in depth
Windows offers its users the option to repair corrupted files in memory. Windows System File Checker makes it easy to locate corrupt files in the system and repair them automatically.
To run a scan with System File Checker on your system:
a) Click on the “Start” button and search for “Windows PowerShell” as shown in the image below. Right-click and click “Run as administrator”.
- In the start menu, write “Windows Power Shell” and run the command prompt in administrator mode.
- Now run the SFC / scannow command
- When the process is finished, the system locates all corrupt files and repairs them.
Replace the VCRUNTIME140.dll file
This is the most effective way to resolve the error, because by re-registering the DLL file and restarting the system, the error can be fixed.
The file can be downloaded directly and then placed back in the application folder.
Follow the steps mentioned below to proceed:
- Scroll down and at the very bottom you will see a list of versions of the file to download.
- Make sure you download the version that suits you (64-bit or 32-bit). An error could cause the error
- Then place the file in the directory of the program requesting this file.
- After downloading it, open the .zip file you downloaded and then extract the DLL file to a folder on your computer.
- Place the file in the system directory. On a 64-bit version of Windows, the default folder for 64-bit DLL files is: and for 32-bit DLL files
Be sure to overwrite any existing files (but still make a backup copy of the original file). After restarting your computer, the VCRUNTIME140.dll error should disappear.
Reinstall Visual C ++ Redistributable
If none of the previous suggestions have resolved your issue, you may need to reinstall the Microsoft visual C ++ Redistributable packages.
You can find them on the Microsoft support page. Install a version and check if the error is still displayed and so on.
- Click the “Download” button to save the installation file:
- Then choose the version that suits you (32-bit or 64-bit).
- And if you don’t know which version is your, check both:
- The installation is then done in a simple way
- If all went well, after restarting your computer the error will be gone.
Update Windows 10
An update can also resolve the VCRUNTIME140.dll error. To check if your system needs updating, here’s what to do:
- In the windows settings, go to “Update and security”
- The system will check for new updates, and these will begin to download. At the end, all you have to do is install them.
- Note that a restart is essential for the system to take into account the new settings.
Reinstall the application that generates the error
The incomplete download of the affected application files can be a possible cause of this error. So try to uninstall the said application and reinstall it on your system.
To completely uninstall an app in Windows 10 :
- In Windows settings, go to “Applications”
- In the list of applications, choose which one to uninstall and then press the appropriate button.
- If the application does not uninstall or this operation generates an error, a specialized application such as Ccleaner should be used.
- You just have to click on the menu on your left on “Tools” then on the shortcut “Uninstall” and finally choose the application and uninstall it.
Update your computer’s drivers
Windows drivers are the main cause of these errors in the system because a bug in the driver leads to many errors including the VCRUNTIME140.dll error.
Therefore, one of the crucial steps in resolving this error is to update your drivers. To do this, please refer to our full tutorial on the subject:
It could also be that the error is caused by a new version of a driver. In this case, it would be better to revert to the previous version of said driver. To do this, the system must be restored to an earlier date. Date on which this error does not appear.
Clean the system
If all the solutions presented do not work and the VCRUNTIME140.dll error persists, a deep clean would be the solution.
A system cleanup consists of scanning Windows 10 to check for registry errors, the presence of malicious files, missing files, etc. This operation requires several steps and several tools that you will find in detail in our tutorial:
Some additional tips
Is VCRUNTIME140.dll a virus?
It is by no means a virus. On the contrary, it is a system file necessary for the proper functioning of applications. It is its absence that generates errors.
Where should I copy the VCRUNTIME140.dll file in Windows 10?
On a 64-bit version of Windows, the default folder for 64-bit DLL files is: and for 32-bit DLL files
In some cases, it would be better to copy the file directly to the folder of the application affected by the error.
How to access DLL files folders in Windows 10?
You must be in the Administrator session to have full access to resources and to overcome system limitations.
I fixed the error but the MSVCP100.dll error appeared?
If this error appears as a result of the VCRUNTIME140.dll error, a completely different procedure becomes necessary.
This error is one of the most persistent errors in Windows 10. This is why you really need to determine its origin exactly. And each of the solutions presented in this tutorial will help you to resolve the VCRUNTIME140.dll error in an efficient manner.